Every now & then I have to reset or reconfigure an older Cisco device that I come across in my day to day. This is just for me personally to remember. If it helps you too, then your welcome! 😉
Please see the regular process to reset the password on 1841 Router below,
- Use the console to connect to the 1841
- Use the power switch in order to turn off the router, and then turn the router back on
- SEND BREAK within 60 seconds of power up in order to put the router into ROMMON
- Type confreg 0x2142 at the rommon 1> prompt in order to boot from Flash
This step bypasses the startup configuration where the passwords are stored
- Type reset at the rommon 2> reset
The router reboots, but ignores the saved configuration.
- Type no after each setup question, or press Ctrl-C in order to skip the initial setup procedure.
- Type enable at the Router> prompt.
- You are in enable mode and should see the Router# prompt.
- Type copy startup-config running-config in order to copy the nonvolatile RAM (NVRAM) into memory.
Do not type copy running-config startup-config or write. These commands erase your startup configuration.
- Type configure terminal
- Type #enable secret <password> in order to change the enable secret password.
- Type config-register #config-register 0x2102
- Type write memory or #copy running-config startup-config in order to commit the changes